Sunday, March 30, 2014

Onesie Dress {Tutorial}

Hey everyone! 


Happy Sunday.  I hope you take your Sundays as seriously as I do! Lazy! 


I have an awesome tutorial for you today.



The Onesie Dress!




What you will need:


A onesie the size of your child
1 Yard of Fabric of your choice for skirt and 2 inch thick strip of fabric to make the fabric flower (preferably 100% cotton)
Coordinating thread
Scissors 


This is the onesie I used to do the project. I just picked out a 3-6 month one because I am making this for a friend that is expecting in a couple weeks.  She has a lot of new born things already. I can NOT wait for her to sent me a picture of her wearing it!! 

You want to measure the circumference of the onesie. Mine was 8" so 16" around. 


Then I measured out my fabric to about 22" to account for the one inch seam allowance in the back and for the extra material I will be scrunching.  So after you measure the fabric out, you will want to set your machine to the straight stitch with the longest stitch available. You will fold over about an inch at the top of the fabric. Sew that seam across and cut the thread long so you can pull it to scrunch it. 

I have a very old Singer sewing machine that I picked up at the second hand store in my town. I got it for $25! What a steal right? It works great too.


This is the setting I put my machine at. It must be set to a straight stitch so you can pull the thread and scrunch the fabric.


This setting on my machine adjust the stitching length. You will need to adjust yours to the longest stitching length so the thread is no so tight and can be pulled.  


After you sew across you want to pull the thread on the sides to scrunch the fabric. 


Then spread out the scrunches until it's even. Make sure you measure the fabric to the measurement you took earlier. Mine needed to be 16" and I scrunched the fabric until it was at 16". Then you will want to pin your fabric to it stayes in place while you sew it to the onesie.  


Double check your measurements before you sew across the seam. Try and make your sewing as straight at you can. 



This is the finish product! You can decorate your dress with a bow or a flower, the options are endless! I decided to make a flower out of fabric with a felt middle. 

For the flower:

Take a 2 inch piece of fabric and sew it just like you did for the top of the dress. Scrunch it until it loops around in a circle and then sew the ends together. I took a piece of felt and sewed it on. I didn't like how you can see my blue thread (I should have switched it out, but I planned to glue another piece over the yellow) so I glued a piece of extra fabric in the middle with fabric glue to cover the thread.  

  
Pretty adorable, right?




Thanks for reading my tutorial! Come back tomorrow and I'll be showing you how to make a picture accent wall! Mine turned out so great! : )

Ciao!!







No comments: